Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A New Chapter

I had a blog a few years ago that was strictly for weight loss.  I lost 100 lbs.,  albeit not all I needed to lose.  I got burned out on calorie counting, writing and all that went with it and stepped away for a few years.

A friend mentioned to me yesterday that she was considering blogging again and I spent the rest of the day contemplating the idea for myself.  I decided that I did kind of miss that hobby and the virtual relationships that are tied to it, but this time I didn't want it to be solely about weight loss.  I wanted it to just be a simple blog about life.  My life....and everything in it.  That will include what was my boyfriend in my previous blog, Dwayne, who is now my husband.  My two fur babies, Boomer, our Labradane and Scarlette, our Peekapoo.  It won't take long to figure out that these 2 little turkeys are just as important to us as human children are to most others.

I also have a myriad of health issues I'm working on and thought this would be a good place to journal about it.  I am learning through groups on Facebook that I am not alone in my health struggles and shouldn't act like I am.  It's perfectly okay and actually quite important to advocate for yourself.  After all, if not you, then who?

First and foremost, the diabetes is a real issue.  I am on 2 meds for that, along with another med for Triglycerides and a med for my Hypothyroidism.  I am really trying hard to get the diabetes under control with what I eat.  So low carb is the name of the game for me, and I just recently re-discovered a blog that I absolutely adore, My Bizzy Kitchen.  I believe her blog is also known as The Biggest Diabetic Loser.  Her name is Beth, her nickname is Biz, she blogs about her daily life, much of it being food-related and keeping her diabetes in control, and unfortunately, the loss of her husband back in December.  I've been catching up on her blog the last couple of days and am looking forward to basing a lot of what I'm eating on what she cooks.  It always looks so tasty and she often provides the breakdown for carbs/protein/fat, etc.

For work, I sell new and used items on Ebay and have an online store called TJ's Timeless Treasures.  I think I'm going on 4 years now.  This is probably the biggest source of my stress...isn't it always about money?  This is the outlet I use to keep my part of the bills paid around here and let's just say it's a roller coaster.  But I will say that the thrifting (or junkin') and the garage sales can be fun, and will enjoy posting pics of some of my finds along the way.

Also, my most favorite hobby....gardening.  I can't say I'm extremely good at it, but I try.  My husband likes to call my patio Death Row when some flowers don't make it, but whatever....I keep trying.  :)  We built a raised bed/garden box this year...just one....to try my hand at growing a few veggies.  I've got tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, yellow squash and okra.  At the moment, it's looking like the cukes and okra might not make it...but we'll see.  I will enjoy taking pics of the vegetables that actually make it to the table for eating.

And food pics.  Yes, I'm one of THOSE people.  Well, not the one that posts a pic of Every. Single. Bite. they put in their mouths.  But I do like to post pics of things that I found especially tasty and think they're worth sharing.

I'm not planning on making the main focus of this blog about weight loss, but for the record, I weighed 240 lbs. on Monday.  I used to weigh 340 lbs. several years ago, started the weight loss blog, lost 110 lbs. through calorie counting and walking, got burned out and hung up my hat.  So over the last 3-4 years, I've put 10 lbs. back on.  I have to say, I'm not mad at myself, lol.  Many, many people in the weight loss community pack back on every single pound and then some.  I didn't.  Thank you God for that.  I learned some valuable lessons while losing that are still with me today and probably have a lot to do with why I've basically maintained my weight.

With that said, I know 240 lbs. is not a healthy weight.  It is considered obese on every chart out there.  If I had to pick a specific goal, it would probably be around 170 lbs. with me being 5'10.  I know my middle sister, who is a nurse, is 6' tall, 150 lbs, and looks like a beanpole.  I have no desire to look like a bean, nor do I think you HAVE to in order to be healthy.  On the flip side, my focus right now is getting the sugar/carbs under control...not counting calories.  I have a set # of carbs that I do not want to go over in a day's eating and that's where my focus is.  I have to assume w/ limiting the sugar/carbs, some weight will naturally fall off in the process.

And so it begins....the next chapter.  Let's see where it leads, shall we? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment